Appeal for a democratic Labour Left Alliance
The degeneration of Momentum has reached a critical point. Jon Lansman’s attack on Jewish Voice for Labour as “not being part of the Jewish community” and his demand that Chris Williamson MP should be expelled from the Labour Party are indefensible. Sadly, Momentum at a national level has become an organisation that has now fully joined the witch-hunt against Jeremy Corbyn and his supporters.
It is not good enough to call for people to join this or that existing group. We have to be honest: None of our existing Labour left organisations are, by themselves, the answer. But they can be part of the solution.
We therefore believe there is now an urgent need to build a democratic, transparent and socialist Labour Left Alliance that:
- organises democratically and transparently;
- both supports a left leadership against attacks by the right, and is independent and able to criticise our left wing leaders when necessary;
- opposes racism, anti-Semitism, Islamophobia and all other forms of discrimination and is consistently internationalist, a stance which by definition includes support for the democratic and national rights of the Palestinians;
- campaigns for the free movement of people;
- opposes attempts to conflate anti-Zionism with antisemitism and opposes the witch-hunt against the left;
- campaigns to radically transform and democratise the Labour Party and the trade unions;
- campaigns for open selection so that the Parliamentary Labour Party better reflects the views of the vast majority of members;
- campaigns for a disciplinary process in the Labour Party which is wholly based on natural justice and due process;
- supports and encourages struggles against austerity and all forms of oppression.
Yes, I support the appeal!
If you agree with the appeal above, please complete the online form below. We strongly encourage all signatories to join the Labour Party and get involved in local Labour Left groups. We also welcome those who have been suspended or expelled as part of the witch-hunt against the left.